Thursday, February 7, 2008

My CNY

Turns out I wasn't exactly CNY-less after all, but the story of which is pretty interesting. Let Tris relate.

On Monday afternoon, I was walking back to Law School after my IR class, alone and depressed and telling basically myself, "God, I feel suckily alone. I wish I had some company."... When I met Luc, the Taiwanese dude on exchange, with another guy Bob, who was also on exchange from Taiwan. Upon their kind invite I had lunch with them at a Chinese restaurant nearby. As the convo developed, we got to talking about CNY and how we were celebrating it, and they basically invited me to join their Taiwanese contingent for huo guo on Thursday.

Sure, there was a little language difficulty since my Chinese wasn't as fantastic as I'd like to believe, BUT it was fun, full of laughter and jokes and joy, and basically filled up the otherwise dominating silence that has been my life thus far. Hard to imagine otherwise in a Chinese restaurant with 17 other people in the party, a very cute old lady who was asking us a lot of questions about CNY and our huo guo, and basically good company. Thank God indeed - it was a glorious evening, and I felt very fuzzy though it was cold as heck outside.

Didn't take as many photos as I'd liked, but the 2 that I do have, I share with you:


The 3 girls who dominated the laughter at our table: Joanne, Angie and Lily. Lily being exceedingly loud at every juncture.


Bob, Shouyang (I think that was his name), Luc and me - crazy Chinese boys who had a heck of a night.

So it was simple, and food wasn't fantastic. But over CNY, as I told Wendy, it's all about company - and the ending MSN video call with my family back home made this CNY one to remember. :) Almost made me feel like I never left at all.

No comments: