Friday, September 7, 2007

Tris' Travel Tips! - The Flight

Oh right, my 1st advice post. Incidentally, I definitely am suffering from jetlag because it's 10 at night and I don't feel the least sleepy. I just ordered Pizzs Hut, just bathed, and just realised that I haven't eaten since 8 this morning, on the plane. My body's hugely out of whack. :(

1. THE FLIGHT


a. Fly American!
I'm not equipped to advise on European airlines because I haven't flown long haul with them since... Ever. So, I can only discuss the benefits and detriments of Malaysian & China Airlines V/S United Airlines.

The big benefit about flying United for me - NO FUCKIN KIDS. Well, there was this one Indian family who lost control of their children (who seriously looked like brown Shrek babies, no kidding) but the flight was serene otherwise. And a little girl sitting next to me kicking my feet when she adjusted in her seat. BUT unlike Asian kids, Caucasian kids only whimper in bouts, not continuously; and not so loud that the whole airplane hears them. This could also have a lot to do with timing, but it appeared that today, more pockets of individuals were flying United rather than families. Big bonus.

The downside is that American staff are a little... Patronising. Not just in scolding you but also in praising you. I got scolded, rightly, for not stowing my laptop away; but a million smiles and 'thank yous' got nothing but scowls from the same grouchy stewardess. Who then said that the old Japanese couple next to me were very nice, even though she didn't speak their language. It wasn't inconsistent, but it was f-patronising. Seriously irritating.

Food's ok on United. People who expect gourmet food on flights should ride the Orient Express or fly Business, because let's be honest - food's food and you're sitting Economy. United gave me 2 meals per flight leg, and the food wasn't bad. I don't know how SIA does it, but I do vaguely remember Malaysian Airlines serving inedible vegetables. Perhaps it's the Tokyo ground staff who serve good food, I've no idea. But United was alright.

b. Fly Late! (and other timing issues)
As I alluded to earlier, don't bother flying early. Especially if you fly in the June July period - you're going to bump into pockets of kids & families. I flew with a planeload of students today, a whole bunch from Korea in front and visiting / matriculating individuals behind.

Why are kids so important anyway? This is a big deal because it affects your sleep majorly. I was decently rested getting off the plane, because nothing bothered me. I touched down in 2005 sickish, irritated and couldn't get out of bed for 3 days, because of one screaming kid. It's all a matter of luck of course, but reducing probability works in YOUR favour.

Another thing too is to not do what I did, as much as it can be helped:
- DO NOT touch down in the morning. Sure, you gain a whole day, but as it turned out, I spent it sleeping. The only things I've done are: make some prospective apartment calls AND get acclimatised to the weather. And order Pizza and get gypped of 2 Pepsi bottles. B******ds. And anyway, evening flights work better because you can sleep immediately and begin the time switch process.

- DO NOT fly before a weekend, especially if your housing is as done as mine. Most places are open on Saturday, but Sunday is as good as gone; and if you're staying as far from the campus as I am, even worse. But that's an accom problem. Still, no sense to fly in on Friday, make it Thursday or Sunday itself. :)

c. Fly Prepared!
Bring the following:
- Chapstick
- Eyedrops
- Moisturiser
- Empty Bottle

The flight experience is horribly dehydrating, as I learnt to my chagrin. Don't be daft. Be prepared.

Ok, time to eat. Shall keep posting since I'm SO BLOODY BORED. :p

2 comments:

blurred said...

don't eat too many pizzas... not good for size, errr nooo..., health.

Bernice! said...

Hey Tris!

Are you on exchange? Sorry for being so out of touch. I hope things get better for you :) Have fun in Seattle!

Bernice :)